Product Review: SoundToys Decapitator – Harmonic Overtones!
SoundToys Decapitator is a saturation plugin that packs a punch. Further out of the box you have 5 different saturation modes to choose from. Furthermore, you have options to push the sound further with their punish feature. This adds aggression beefing up any signals passing through it.
Additionally, the plugin comes built with low-pass and high-pass filters. Consequently offering options for cleaning any ugly artifacts on the sides of the output signal. Also included are 46 presets for an array of elements in your track. Elements such as drums, guitars, effects, resampling, and vocals!
What is Saturation?
Saturation is a combination of soft-knee compression and harmonic generation. When the input is no longer matched by the linear output the result is warm overtones! In short, the end result is a sound that is pleasing to the ear whilst raising the perceived loudness of your output. Great for helping elements stand out in your mixdown!
( Product Information taken from Soundtoys.com)
Specs for SoundToys Decapitator
Current Version: 5.3.9
- Release Log
Plug-in Formats (64-bit only):
- AAX Native, AAX AudioSuite, VST 2, VST 3, and Audio Units (AU)
Supported Sample Rates:
- Minimum: 44.1 kHz, Maximum: 192 kHz
- Operating systems: Mac OS X 10.12 or later; Windows 7 or later.
- An internet connection is required at the time of activation.
- Pro Tools, Live, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Studio One, Reaper, Bitwig
- Click here to view their full list of compatible host applications.
Our time with SoundToys Decapitator impressed us by delivering analog feels to our synths. The harmonic overtones fattened the frequency spectrum up creating beefy sounds. Used in combination with a fat rack this tool is a must-have offering loud and warm results. SoundToys are one of the best in the industry currently, releasing high-quality plugins each time. We also recommend their SoundToys 5.4 bundle as all of their tools are a must-have!
If you enjoyed this article why not give it a like and share? We hope to see you again soon!
Saturation with a punch, delivering warm overtones and loudness.
- 5 saturation modes to choose from
- Built in low-pass and high-pass filters
- 46 tailored presets for an array of tasks
- Easy to use and stylish interface
- Control of how dark or bright the signal is
- Could use more modern features such as an EQ as opposed to filters
Value For Money